Social Performance Review – Petrochad Mangara

PetroChad Mangara (PCM) is the operator of the Badila, Mangara and Krim oil fields in Southern Chad. PCM owns an 85% stake, with the remaining 15% held by the Chadian National Oil Company SHT. Plexus was commissioned in 2018 by PCM’s then owner Glencore, to carry out a social performance review (SPR) of PCM’s operations in preparation for a planned project expansion.

Deliverables

The objective of the SPR was to review PCM’s socio-economic initiatives; identify material impacts, risks and interactions related to PCM’s operations; identify gaps that are material to improving PCM’s social performance; and outline the process for establishing a socio-economic monitoring framework.

The SPR involved a desktop review of project and external documentation and featured interviews with PCM staff at HQ and site level. The scope encompassed a wide range of issues including local employment, land use, land acquisition, contractor management, labor influx, institutional capacity, stakeholder engagement and social investment.

Outcomes

The SPR identified key strengths and potential risks and made recommendations to address the gaps identified and thus to strengthen community relations. The SPR also provided an outline of a socio-economic monitoring framework. Recommendations were prioritised, recognising that not all issues are within the control of PCM and that some interventions depend on collaboration with government agencies. The SPR was instrumental in preparing for the planned expansion of operations.

Client

Glencore

Location

Chad

Social Performance Review – Petrochad Mangara

Client

Glencore

Location

Chad

PetroChad Mangara (PCM) is the operator of the Badila, Mangara and Krim oil fields in Southern Chad. PCM owns an 85% stake, with the remaining 15% held by the Chadian National Oil Company SHT. Plexus was commissioned in 2018 by PCM’s then owner Glencore, to carry out a social performance review (SPR) of PCM’s operations in preparation for a planned project expansion.

Deliverables

The objective of the SPR was to review PCM’s socio-economic initiatives; identify material impacts, risks and interactions related to PCM’s operations; identify gaps that are material to improving PCM’s social performance; and outline the process for establishing a socio-economic monitoring framework.

The SPR involved a desktop review of project and external documentation and featured interviews with PCM staff at HQ and site level. The scope encompassed a wide range of issues including local employment, land use, land acquisition, contractor management, labor influx, institutional capacity, stakeholder engagement and social investment.

Outcomes

The SPR identified key strengths and potential risks and made recommendations to address the gaps identified and thus to strengthen community relations. The SPR also provided an outline of a socio-economic monitoring framework. Recommendations were prioritised, recognising that not all issues are within the control of PCM and that some interventions depend on collaboration with government agencies. The SPR was instrumental in preparing for the planned expansion of operations.